Dental night guards are pieces of equipment designed to shield your teeth from the harm caused by bruxism, which refers to teeth grinding and clenching. Such an issue is common and can contribute to the development of a variety of oral health issues, such as tooth wear, chipping, and fractures.
You should be aware of the following details about night guards:
What are Dental Night Guards?
These custom-made oral appliances act as a cushion between your upper and lower teeth. The material absorbs some of the stress from clenching and grinding, which can help keep your teeth from being damaged.
Types of Night Guards
Dental night guards come in a variety of forms, including:
Custom-Fit: They offer the finest fit and defense against teeth grinding and clenching since they are built precisely for your teeth.
Stock: They are available in a small selection of sizes and are pre-made. They may be less comfy and less costly, but they do not offer a bespoke fit.
Boil-and-Bite: Appliances that you have to “boil and bite” are made to be pliable in hot water and then shaped to fit your teeth. While they offer a better fit than stock night guards, they could not offer the same amount of protection as night guards that are fitted just for you.
Reasons to Wear a Night Guard
Using a night guard can be a terrific method to protect your teeth and enhance your dental health if you are prone to unhealthy nighttime habits. Here are five reasons to think about acquiring a night guard:
- Protects against teeth grinding and clenching: Night guards are made to shield your teeth against the wear, chipping, and fracturing that can result from teeth grinding and clenching. A night guard might help you avoid these problems and safeguard your teeth.
- Reduces jaw discomfort and headaches: Grinding and clenching the teeth can tighten the muscles in the jaw, which can result in recurring headaches and face pain. Your overall comfort can be increased and these symptoms can be lessened by wearing a night guard.
- Reduces snoring: By keeping the airway open by placing the jaw, night guards can also help minimize snoring. This can enhance your sleep and lower your chance of developing sleep apnea.
- Enhances sleep quality: Grinding and clenching your teeth while you sleep can cause sleep disruption and poor sleep quality. You can get better sleep and wake up feeling more rested and awake by wearing a night guard.
- Protects against sports-related injuries: Using a night guard can help safeguard your teeth against sports-related injuries if you engage in athletic or other strenuous activities. Your teeth can be cushioned with night guards, which lowers your chance of fracturing or chipping them during contact sports.
Using a night guard can enhance your sleep quality, reduce snoring, relieve jaw discomfort and headaches, protect against sports-related injuries, and protect your teeth from the negative consequences of teeth grinding and clenching. It is crucial to see a trained dentist near you to identify the best course of therapy for your particular needs if you are dealing with any of these problems or have been told by a dental expert to think about night guards
Night Guards at Affinity Dental Kingsway
Looking for a trustworthy and cost-efficient night guard? Choose Affinity Dental Kingsway without a second thought!
Our team takes great satisfaction in being able to provide our patients the best possible treatment. Our kind and professional dentist in Edmonton is available to assist you, whether you’re seeking a night guard or need assistance with other dental problems.
So why wait? Schedule a consultation with us right now to get night guards near you and get a better night’s sleep immediately!