Whenever possible, dentists always prefer to help you preserve and repair your natural teeth because they are what truly keep your mouth healthy and functional.
Sometimes, that’s not always the case. Depending on the situation and the current state of your oral health, your dentist may recommend undergoing a tooth extraction. Though it may seem like an extreme measure, this specific treatment can be very beneficial.
For more information pertaining to tooth extractions in Kingsway, reach out to our local dental clinic today. We’re happy to answer any inquiries you have about this process.
What Does It Mean to Have a Tooth Extracted?
In simple terms, it is the act of removing a tooth out of its socket to repair your smile. Many people don’t realize that having a tooth extracted is actually quite a standard procedure. Simple and surgical dental extractions are the main forms of this treatment.
A minimally invasive process, simple extractions entail taking out a tooth that is fully visible in your mouth when talking, laughing, or eating. This treatment can be completed within a single appointment.
When you visit a dentist near you, they will kick things off by taking x-rays and thoroughly evaluating your teeth and gums. This allows them to piece together a detailed picture of your oral health and determine why you require this method of care. Local anesthesia will be provided to you so you’re comfortable and free of pain while your dentist works. Your afflicted tooth must be loosened first before being extracted from your socket. A pair of dental forceps are used to do this. Afterward, the site will be cleaned and stitched.
A surgical extraction, also known as a complex extraction, is a similar procedure. But it involves removing teeth that have only partially erupted or not at all. The steps performed during your appointment are nearly identical, and only diverge when it’s time to take out your tooth.
A small incision will be made in your gums so that your tooth can be fully accessible. Any debris will be scraped and cleared away. The forceps will be used here as well to officially take out your tooth. Once again, the site is then cleaned and sealed.
Should you require any additional care, don’t hesitate to let your dentist in Edmonton know. They’ll do everything they can to ensure that your appointment goes smoothly.
Reasons to Consider a Tooth Extraction
There are many advantages to receiving a tooth extraction, and they are:
- First and foremost, it’ll ease your pain! Whether it’s necessary because of decay or your tooth is damaged, you won’t have to worry about dealing with pain any longer once this procedure is done.
- It’ll help preserve the rest of your smile. If your tooth is infected and isn’t treated soon, it can eventually spread to your neighboring teeth and cause them to weaken.
- To help you prepare for orthodontic work. Overcrowding is a pretty common issue. In some instances, a tooth may need to be pulled so that there’s room for your teeth to straighten. Typically, this applies to your wisdom teeth.
- Improve the functionality of your smile. Chewing and talking will become much easier, just as they should be!
- Boosting your self-esteem. When we feel good about our smile, we feel good about ourselves!
Looking to learn more about tooth extractions near you? At Affinity Dental Kingsway, we are here to help you get your oral health back on the right track. Our capable team of dentists is eager to work with you soon. So, come in, go to our website, or call us today to book a one-on-one consultation.